Get ready for a Fantastic Voyage at the 17th World Maccabiah Games. Follow all the action through the eyes of an athlete (that would be me) and learn more than you ever wanted to know about bowling (please, control your enthusiasm, you're embarrassing yourself). Fasten that seatbelt and make sure your tray table and seatback are in the locked and upright position -- this is going to be one crazy time!

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Final Countdown .. and Yes, We Are Safe

Today was our official practice, the last day before our competition begins. Not only did we have a chance to "sample" all the lanes, but I had a chance to scope out the competition. There are many good bowlers competiting in these games, but I feel confident in what I can accomplish this week. Not only that, I also feel confident in my shot -- I have some good lines between 10 board and 15 board (second and third arrows) that should do me well during the competition.

Before I go on, I just want to let eveyrone know that we are safe and okay here in Ramat Gan. We heard about the incident in Netanya of a few hours ago, but nothing has changed in terms of our high level of security or our ability to access the "outside world." We obviously need to exhibit additional caution at all times (more than we had been previously), but as always, life goes on here even amid some chaotic times.

The Netanya indicent of just a few hours ago really brought things into perspective for me. One of the other athletes had mentioned that we were unable to leave the hotel as a security precaution, but nothing could be farther from the truth. We need to be careful, point blank. A few hours ago, I and some athletes from Great Britain and the U.S. went out for some pizza and schwarma (well, one or the other) and we got to see how people are continuing to live their lives. We always hear that Israelis live with this type of activity all the time and they need to continue to "live," as we need to continue to support that need. Well, tonight I saw that first hand, and it is very comforting to know that through chaos comes a calming feeling of the continuance of life, the need to move on and strive for peace and security in a sometimes unbalanced world.

Ok, back to the day's activities ... after our practice session, we held a special opening ceremony just for the Ten Pin Bowling competition, featuring entertainment on the approaches and an appearance from the Mayor of Petach Tikvah. Everyone has been incredibly gracious to us -- the bowlers, in particular, but I gather it is extended to all the athletes at the games. There is a wonderful feeling of community and togetherness that these games provide, not only to us here, but also to our Jewish family around the world.

Right now, I'm typing this as we have a little social (well, maybe it's a big social) for all the bowlers at our hotel. This sight (I'll try to get a picture up soon) is insane, with people from countries all across the globe just hanging out together, enjoying good food and good drink and good times together. Yes, the competition is important, but the friendships we develop and camaraderie we build are something that will last a lifetime.

Ok, tomorrow is the Real Deal -- we start our competition with the Singles event. I'm bowling in the first shift, so it should be interesting how I come out of the blocks. Our schedule is a little different that what has been posted on the website, so I'll make sure to give a preview of the upcoming day with each entry. Ok, it's a little early for me, but I want to get a good night sleep. Laila Tov.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home