Get ready for a Fantastic Voyage at the 17th World Maccabiah Games. Follow all the action through the eyes of an athlete (that would be me) and learn more than you ever wanted to know about bowling (please, control your enthusiasm, you're embarrassing yourself). Fasten that seatbelt and make sure your tray table and seatback are in the locked and upright position -- this is going to be one crazy time!

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Take Me Out

It’s actually about 3 a.m. on Sunday, July 10 right now, but I’m just getting around to putting my blog entry together and I’m dead set on making sure I make an entry every day.

Today was a very laid back day. Even though it was Shabbat, there were plenty of things open around us. I wasn’t feeling all that hot this morning, so I slept in rather than head out to synagogue, which I had intended. A 5 a.m. wake up call – in the form of a tension headache – can really start the day on the wrong foot.

So, I took the opportunity to get some sun at the pool. After about two hours up on the 16th floor (yes, it’s a rooftop pool), I am sufficiently “lobster-fied.” In a day or two, it’ll turn golden brown, and then in another day or two I’ll be back to my pasty-white self.

We also took in some time this afternoon in Herzilya, which is a beautiful beach town that was packed with sunbathers from around the world. There are a number of hotels right along the water and very little visible sand along the water. And, I finally had a chance to get in my first falafel … even though I can get falafel at home, it is NOTHING like eating fresh falafel in Israel. Though it’s been five years since I savored it, it was well worth the wait.

Tonight’s adventure took us on a brief tour of Tel Aviv and Yafo. Unfortunately, it was not what we expected – an hour walking tour with about two hours to relax in Tel Aviv, checking out the bars and clubs. Instead, a bad tour guide, traffic in Yafo, and a few Team USA members who went AWOL along the way lead to much abbreviated free time period in Tel Aviv. We basically had enough time to go to a bar – we found one that was literally on the beach sand, and plan to go back when we have a chance – have one drink, and then head back to the bus. Another drink at the hotel, and a few games of Sheish-beish (backgammon), and I’m up to bed.

Tomorrow we have the huge welcome party for all the athletes and team personnel. Should be many photo opportunities and a great chance to trade pins and other goodies.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt,
We are all, especially me enjoying keeping up with you.
Keep up the good work. I know that there are still games ahead of you and am sure that you will do great.
Your message was read on Friday and the entire group really enjoyed hearing from you and were certainly surprised that you even remembered that the Marketing Dept. was responsible for the Kabbalat Shabbat on Friday.
Keep up the good work.
Belle

8:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home