Get ready for a Fantastic Voyage at the 17th World Maccabiah Games. Follow all the action through the eyes of an athlete (that would be me) and learn more than you ever wanted to know about bowling (please, control your enthusiasm, you're embarrassing yourself). Fasten that seatbelt and make sure your tray table and seatback are in the locked and upright position -- this is going to be one crazy time!

Friday, July 08, 2005

Never Underestimate a Good Night Sleep

It was so nice to sleep in this morning – no worries about early practice or hopping onto the bus for an excursion into the Israeli countryside. No, today was about relaxing and rejuvenating. We know we have many long days ahead of us, so the extra few hours of sleep were greatly appreciated.

The highlight of the day was our short practice at the competition site, Super Bowling in Petach Tikvah. The owner, Ya’akov, told us that the facility is about seven years old, and the place looks like it. It is very modern, with new lanebeds and scoring equipment. And, this house does indeed have 20 lanes.

Since we traveled to the bowling center by taxi, we only took one bowling bag each (remember, I have two bags of two balls each). But for as much as we wanted to score well, this was more about getting comfortable with our surroundings and learning what the shot would be like. And even if they put out the shot we had today, it could very well change before or during our competition.

I did struggle on the lanes; the disadvantage of not having all my equipment with me was that I couldn’t switch to the ball I thought would be most advantageous since it was still back at the hotel. I did, though, follow Lindsey’s lead and move deep inside and play around third arrow. I threw a couple of good shots toward the end, so at least I know I have something to move to. We’ll probably be back on the lanes on Sunday and again Tuesday for the official practice session, so I’ll have plenty of time to find my comfort zones.

Right now, we’re getting ready for Shabbat. I’m not sure what that will consist of, but as long as we are together, it will all work out. Tomorrow I’ve decided to go to the synagogue near the hotel – the desk manager said it was a Masorti (Conservative) synagogue, so we’ll just have to give it a shot.

And, lastly, the Internet access here is adequate, but getting access in the rooms is very expensive, so I’ll be posting to the blog every few days to save up on some shekels.

Have a great Shabbat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home