Get ready for a Fantastic Voyage at the 17th World Maccabiah Games. Follow all the action through the eyes of an athlete (that would be me) and learn more than you ever wanted to know about bowling (please, control your enthusiasm, you're embarrassing yourself). Fasten that seatbelt and make sure your tray table and seatback are in the locked and upright position -- this is going to be one crazy time!

Monday, June 27, 2005

Where Will it All Go?

Besides dealing with the equipment issues, the biggest challenge is trying to pack clothes for three weeks in a manageable suitcase. As different piles of clothes and lists of piles of clothes still to be made accumulate in my bedroom, I scratch my head over and over, wondering how all these articles of clothing will fit in my large suitcase.

A trip to Israel in the summer usually includes the bare essentials: lots of t-shirts and shorts, a Shabbat outfit, a pair of sneakers, a pair of sandals, and assorted accessories (like plenty of sunscreen). My suitcase has a few more Games-specific items: five bowling shirts, a few pair of nice pants to compete in and wear for Shabbat, some team apparel (t-shirts and shorts), and a polo shirt that is to be worn under our team apparel for the opening ceremonies -- a really cool warm up suit that says "USA" across the back. Though they may be a little large, it's a pretty hot item to wear -- but I want to know who wears a warm up suit in Israel, in the summer, in a stadium with thousands of other people?!?

But I digress. These clothes unto themselves take up plenty of space in what appears to be my "incredibly shrinking suitcase." And every time I begin to think of actually going through the almost impossible task of packing for the Games, I put it off. Right now, if all goes according to plan, I'll pack Friday. I figure every nook and cranny in my suitcase is going to be tightly packed. And, from what I hear from the last games, laundry service was hard to come by (though I've checked out our hotel's website and it says that there a laundry service, so let's all hope for the best). Some clothing won't even make it to the laundry ... they'll just make it to the garbage can.

I think this is going to be one of those affairs that I really do need to sit on my suitcase just to get it to zip up. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home