Get ready for a Fantastic Voyage at the 17th World Maccabiah Games. Follow all the action through the eyes of an athlete (that would be me) and learn more than you ever wanted to know about bowling (please, control your enthusiasm, you're embarrassing yourself). Fasten that seatbelt and make sure your tray table and seatback are in the locked and upright position -- this is going to be one crazy time!

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Shiny Bowling Balls

One of the nicest (and most unexpected) things about being part of the USA Maccabiah Bowling Team is that we each received equipment generously donated by leading bowling equipment providers. Over the course of a week in late May, I received three deliveries of "goodies." Each of us received four bowling balls, two double-ball bags, and a pair of shoes. Considering each ball is worth more than $200 each, the two bags are more than $50 each, and a pair of bowling shoes can be $100, we definitely owe a debt of gratitude to Ebonite, Columbia 300, Hammer, Linds, and Dexter for their generosity and support.

There was just one slight problem: the equipment we received was not equipment that I personally wanted. That is not to say that the bowling balls weren't top-of-the-line and of the highest quality; it's just that when I took stock in my game, the four balls we received were not going to best complement my abilities. So, with some guidance and help from my pro shop guru, Al Tilton, I managed to get my hands on three great bowling balls: a Columbia Ti Messenger, a Track Heat, and an Ebonite Ice.

Now, for the non-bowlers reading this, I probably lost you somewhere around each bowling ball costing $200 each. But, there is a point to this, because, though getting the initial deliveries of goodies was pretty simple and painless, getting what I really wanted wasn't so easy. Oh sure, they were sitting at Al's pro shop, just waiting for me to claim them. But it would take about 11 hours -- over two days -- to finally get them into my apartment.

Eleven hours, to drill bowling balls? I kid you not. Al agreed to "work his magic" last Thursday (June 23); I would meet him at his pro shop after work. I figured with a little vehicular traffic, I'd be at him by 6:45 p.m. Well, four car accidents on the road lenghtened that to 8 p.m., and he was helping another customer. Before I knew it, it was 10 p.m. and there wasn't a mark on any of my new equipment. I finally got home about 11:30 -- a 6.5 hour evening and I still didn't have what I came for!

I agreed to come back today and complete the drilling process. Al had checked my hand to see if any of my measurements had changed and then he drilled the needed holes. In the additional time, all the grips were set and glued and even tried out on his own personal "lane." The process was now complete and I finally had my new bowling balls in hand -- 250 miles and 11 hours later. I'm hoping it was worth it (I'm sure it was).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home