Get ready for a Fantastic Voyage at the 17th World Maccabiah Games. Follow all the action through the eyes of an athlete (that would be me) and learn more than you ever wanted to know about bowling (please, control your enthusiasm, you're embarrassing yourself). Fasten that seatbelt and make sure your tray table and seatback are in the locked and upright position -- this is going to be one crazy time!

Saturday, June 25, 2005

T-7 days and counting

Well, the countdown officially begins. In just one week from now, Team USA athletes from around the country will be rocking JFK airport, buzzing with anticipation as we prepare for the experience of a lifetime -- the 17th World Maccabiah Games in Israel. Sure, I've been to Israel, as have many of the other Team USA athletes; but this is more than just a chance to see Israel -- it's a chance to represent our country and our people on an international stage. Not many athletes have the honor of saying that.

There's so much to share, it's tough figuring out where to begin. And, since just about everyone reading this blog knows me, I'll skip over the mundane stuff about work and school and just jump to the good stuff :).

So, what exactly will I be doing in Israel for three weeks? Well, besides a few days of touring and "fun in the sun," I, along with 10 other athletes from across the country, will be representing Team USA in the Ten Pin Bowling competition at the Games. All 11 of us come from various parts of the country and have assorted bowling resumes. As I get to know my teammates better (some of them I've already met), I'll share the fun and accolades with you.

For most people who go bowling, even just once, it's a fun time out with family and friends -- a good time had by all. I like to think that, although I have been bowling for approximately 20 years and compete at an advanced level, it is still a fun time out with family and friends. This past Tuesday, when I went to practice, I was next to a lane where a family of five and a child's friend were all bowling together, smiling, laughing, and having a good time. If nothing else, I hope the 11 of us can share that joy together on the lanes (and some hardware around our necks would be nice to share as well).

But before the competition even gets underway, there's a lot I'll share with you -- how I got my spot on the team, fundraising for the games, figuring out what to pack, and more. And I know the adventures will continue once we get to Israel, as the hilarity (and chaos) ensues when 800+ people try to make there way around Israel en masse. Tell me you aren't jealous of me!

That's all for tonight. I'll try to post entries everyday before we leave and then as much as possible when in Israel (with pictures too). Here's to A Fantastic Voyage this summer in Israel!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home